Sunday, June 7, 2015

A Quick Assessment During and After Teardown

The gong rods were easily moveable, and not at all what they should be. I spoke at length with a watchmaker I've gotten to know, and he told me what they should be, i.e., glass hard, highly polished and touching nothing else in the movement. Where the rods join their respective block, it looks like someone soldered them in, not good, but I believe they are salvageable. Right now they just 'thunk' when struck by the hammers.

Mainspring barrel has a broken spring, not a problem to replace I think.

Balance has a wobble to it, not sure yet if it is due to a bent pivot or in the wheel itself. Will be looked at soon again.

Almost negligible wear anywhere on the wheels and their shafts. I am confident a run through the ultrasonic cleaner and smooth broaching of the brass pivot holes will be fine. No broken or cracked jewels.

All springs are good, none broken.

The fine-toothed chronograph wheel that runs the hand is in excellent shape, no broken or damaged teeth; that goes as well for the rest of the wheels.

Some things I would like to do when I get ready to re-assemble it.

Perlage on the main plates; high polishing, if not black polishing of the flat springs and flat steel surfaces within the movement.

Possible replacement of the balance wheel, with a Breuget overcoil and adjusting for more positions.

The case will be made of flat brass bar stock. The back of the movement will be visible to view internal workings of the chronograph mechanism and the balance wheel. Front and rear bezels will most likely screw on for access.

Winding stem will be shortened, not sure how much yet.

That's some of my ideas, we will see how it all will go when I get closer to doing the work. Thanks for reading!...............................gfields

No comments:

Post a Comment